You may think that I spend a lot of time watching TV, but at this time of year it’s great to pick up some fresh ideas that you can try out yourself, so I buy a couple of Christmas magazines and I do love to watch the festive cooking programmes.
So on that note, have you been watching Jamie’s Family Christmas on Channel 4 this week? ‚ The series has now completed, although you can download the episodes on-line and also print off the recipes from their website.
The ‚ final episode shown last night was about party food and cocktails, and one fabulous idea that I’ve never seen before was a creative tip to decorate your alcoholic bottles such as vodka, but you do need a large freezer for this (and I’m thinking some mittens for serving!).
- Take an empty washed-out plastic bottle of coke (or similar) ‚ and carefully cut the lid off
- Place the full alcoholic bottle physically inside the plastic bottle, and fill around with water
- Using either fresh from your garden, or a local florist, snip some beautifully coloured leaves, berries and flowers
- Gently place the colourful foliage into the water down the sides of the bottle
- Stand the plastic bottle upright in a freezer until it’s frozen
- When it’s ready to be served to your guests, remove the plastic bottle leaving the iced foliage in place around the alcoholic bottle